- Online casino & sports betting is legal
- Sports betting is legal
- Considering legalizing online gambling
WHAT IS THE LEGAL AGE FOR GAMBLING IN NORTH CAROLINA?
IS ONLINE GAMBLING LEGAL IN NORTH CAROLINA?
The state of North Carolina does not have any regulations for online gambling in particular. So online gambling and online poker variants are a non-starter in the state. Players can, however, participate in offshore gambling sites which operate outside of the US legal jurisdiction. However, the authenticity of these sites could be questionable, since they are hosted in countries that have very limited gambling regulations. So there are very marginal legal ways to retrieve your money if it gets lost or stolen from you through any of these offshore sites.
GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS REGARDING GAMBLING
The gambling laws of North Carolina can be found in the North Carolina General Statutes. Article 37 mentions all the laws based on Lotteries, Bingo, Gaming, and Raffles. The different section codes such as § 14-292 till § 14-299 and § 14-301, § 14-306 states the different laws of gambling in the state of North Carolina. As per the rulebook, “unlawful gambling” is a crime and your first offense is treated as a violation while subsequent offenses are Class B misdemeanor.
WHAT KIND OF LAND BASED GAMBLING IS ACCEPTED BY NORTH CAROLINA?
There are a few forms of offline gambling which are legally accepted by the state of North Carolina. The people of the state are allowed to gamble in the following:
- Land-based casinos run by the tribal people – There are two land-based casinos in the state, located in the cities of Cherokee and Murphy. The federal law allows the different tribes of the state to run these land-based casinos in the state. The residents are allowed to play in the slot machines, video slots at these casinos. The residents might also choose to indulge in different table games such as roulette, blackjack, etc. Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino & Hotel in Murphy is comparatively smaller in size as compared to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort. Yet, the Murphy casino has almost 65 gaming tables and 1200+ slot machines to entertain the people of southwestern North Carolina.
- State lottery – The state lottery bill was passed in the year 2005. As a part of the lottery, the state of North Carolina offers its residents different kinds of scratch cards, etc. The North Carolina Education Lottery, for example, invests 100% of its funds into the construction of schools, facilitating constructions and providing financial aid to colleges.
- Charitable gambling – Charitable gambling includes Charitable bingo halls and beach bingo. The proceeds earned from these kinds of gambling must be used for charitable purposes or must be donated in the church.
In recent times, lawmakers have been making sincere efforts towards legalizing various forms of gambling in the state. Especially owing to the rising popularity of gambling across the millennials.
THE CURRENT STATE OF SPORTS BETTING IN NORTH CAROLINA
The state of North Carolina does not support sports betting within the boundary. Sports betting is considered illegal in the state. The Tarheel State doesn’t allow, legalize or regulate any sports betting enterprises to operate within its territories.
Although gambling and different casinos help the government to earn a substantial amount of money through revenues and taxes, yet the Government is not legally prepared to accept the diverse forms of gambling. However, recent efforts by notable lawmakers hint towards the fact that the state might soon prepare itself to embrace casinos.
The legal gambling status of all US states
READ MORE ABOUT US ONLINE CASINO